Made for Thanksgiving 2007. Put turkey in super large zip lock bag and in cooler out on deck.
- 7 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cups course salt
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon black or brown mustard seeds
- 1 whole turkey patted dry
- 1 bottle dry reisling
- 2 medium onions thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
Adapted from the-perfect-turkey.com
1. Bring 1 quart water, the salt, bay leaves, and spices to a simmer, stirring until salt has dissolved. Let cool for 5 minutes.
2. Line a 5-gallon container with a large brining or oven-roasting bag. Place turkey in bag. Add salt mixture, remaining quarts (24 cups) water, and the other ingredients. Tie bag; if turkey is not submerged, weight it with a place. Refrigerate for 24 hours, flipping turkey one.