SEARED TUNA WITH WASABI-MISO MARINADE
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/3 cup sake
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 pounds tuna steak
- Vegetable spray oil
1. Put the sesame seeds in a small skillet and dry-roast over medium heat, sliding the skillet back and forth to prevent burning, until the seeds are slightly golden, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool.
2. Grind the seeds in a spice grinder to a powder. Transfer to a bowl and add the wasabi powder, red miso, and egg yolk. Beat with a fork to blend well. Transfer the mixture to a large zippered plastic bag and add the tuna. Seal and toss the bag back and forth to coat the tuna. Marinate for 4 hours.
3. While waiting for the grill to get hot, remove the tuna from the refrigerator.
4. Spray the tuna generously with vegetable oil and place on the grill over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 5-6 minutes for well-done. Transfer to a plate and serve.