Stuffed Brined Cabbage from Romania
- 1 head brined cabbage. Buy in an Armenian market. Should be firm, not soft.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 c. chopped fresh dill, loosely packed
- 1.5 lb. ground meat (turkey, pork, or beef)
- 3/4 c. uncooked white rice
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz. can water
- 12 or 15 bay leaves
- 8 oz. white wine
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 240mins
Adapted from google.com
Pull off cabbabe leaves
Shave thick part
Cut large leaves int 2 or 3 pieces
Mix onion through rice.
Take about 2 T meat mixture and for short sausage.
Roll in leaf and tuck in end.
Stack in oven-proof pot.
Sprinkle shaved ends over top
Add tomato sauce and water
Place bay leaves on top
Bake uncovered 375 degrees. 1.5 hours. Turn oven to 250. Bake another 1.5 hours.
Can cover at first to bring to simmer.
Turn oven off. Add wine and cover.
Allow to cool in oven.