- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup, homemade (below) or your favorite store-bought, plus more for serving
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Adapted from parenting.com
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Put 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs in a large bowl. Add the milk and let soak until the crumbs have absorbed the milk completely, about 3 minutes. Add the beef, the remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs, the ketchup, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, mix gently just until well combined. Do not overmix or the meat loaves will be tough.
3. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the beef mixture into 12 mini loaves each about 3 inches long, 2 inches wide, and 4 inches high and arrange on the prepared pan 1–2 inches apart. Or, you can divide the meat mixture into 4–6 equal portions, and pack each portion into a nonstick mini loaf pan.
4. If baking freestanding loaves, bake until the bottoms are browned, 20–25 minutes. If using loaf pans, bake until a meat thermometer registers 160°F inserted in the center of the loaf, about 25 minutes. Unmold the loaves, if necessary, and serve. Pass additional ketchup at the table.