Chefs de France: Soupe a L'Oignon Gratinee (Baked Onion Soup)-Disney
- 1 1/2 pounds yellow onions, diced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried (or 2 fresh sprigs) thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried (or 2 fresh sprigs) parsley
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 1/2 quarts chicken broth
- 9 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 French bread loaf
Adapted from christopercina.com
Melt butter in large pot.
Add diced onions and saute over medium heat until translucent and caramelized.
Add flour and stir until a blonde roux forms.
Pour in chicken broth, stir well.
Add herbs, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Ladle soup into oven-proof bowls or ramekins and top with grated Gruyere cheese.
Place under broiler until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
Served with slices of oven-toasted French bread.