Carrot Cake Bars
Applesauce is used in place of half the oil to reduce fat.
1/2 c. walnuts in the icing.
1 c. diced pineapple in the batter.
1/2 c. chocolate chips on the frosted bars.
- 2 c. flour
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 c. slightly beaten egg whites (7 or 8 egg whites)
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1/2 c. cooking oil
- 3 c. finely shredded carrot
- 2 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese (could use reduced fat)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees. Coat 15x10 baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl mix flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and soda.
3. In medium bowl, mix eggwhites, applesauce, and oil. Stir into flour mixture. Stir in carrots.
4. Spread batter in pan. Cook until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
5. In medium bowl, beat together powdered sugar and cream cheese until smooth.
6. Spread over carrot cake and slice into 36 bars.