From Goodhousekeeping, January 2005
- 8 medium stalks of celery
- 7 medium carrots
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 pounds chicken leg quarters
- 1 medium onion, cut up
- 1 garlic clove, cut in half
- 1/2 bunch of fresh parsley
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 20 whole peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teapsoon salt
- 12 cups cold water
- 3 cups medium egg noodles- uncooked (I use gluten free noodles)
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 195mins
1. Cut 4 stalks celery and 3 carrots crosswise into 2-inch pieces;place in 8 quart sauce pot. Add chick with neck and gizzards(no liver), chicken legs, onion, garlic, thyme, peppercorns, bay leaves, salt and water; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours.
2. Meanwhile, cut remaining 4 stalks of celery and 4 carrots crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Cook noodles and set aside.
3. Remove sauce pot from heat; with tongs, transfer chicken to jelly-roll pan. Strain both through colander into large bowl; discard solids. Skim off far and discard. Return broth to sauce pot.
4. Heat broth to boiling over high heat. Meanwhile. remove skin and bones from chicken; cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces.
5. When broth boils, add celery and carrot slices; heat to boiling. reduce heat to medium high; cook vegetables;uncovered. 10 minutes or until very tender. Remove sauce pan from heat. Site in chicken and noodles.