Rustic Sourdough Bread
This is awesome sourdough bread!! Kids won't touch store bought when this is available!
- 1 cup "fed" sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 5 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1. Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
2. Allow the dough to rise, in a covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
3. Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
4. Gently shape the dough into two oval loaves; or, for longer loaves, two 10" to 11" logs. Place the loaves on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
5. Spray the loaves with lukewarm water.
6. Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes in each; a serrated bread knife, wielded firmly, works well here.
7. Bake the bread for 20 to 25 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.