- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 11 ⁄2 cups marinara sauce, no sugar added
- 1 ⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 3 ⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and ready a nonstick 9x5 loaf pan for baking. (Or spray a regular loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.)
2. In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, 1 cup of the marinara sauce, diced red onion, eggs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. (This is easiest done with your hands.)
3. Evenly fill loaf pan with the meatloaf mixture, patting with your hands to form an even top. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
4. Remove loaf from oven; drain any excess fat or liquid, and then top with the remaining 1⁄2 cup of marinara sauce, and all of the mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees. Drain fat from pan once more and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into 8 equal slices.