Black Pepper Reggiano French Toast with Italian Sausage Patties and Warm Honey
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground sage, 1/3 palmful
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 slices good quality white bread or Italian bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Warm honey, for drizzling
Adapted from rachaelrayshow.com
Preheat a griddle pan to medium-high.
Combine pork with wine, fennel, garlic, onion, sage, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and EVOO. Mix with your hands to combine then form 8 small, thin patties. Cook patties 3-4 minutes on each side then keep warm in a low oven. Reduce heat under pan to medium for the French toast.
Whisk up eggs, remaining salt and pepper, a little nutmeg, and the grated cheese in a dish. Coat bread slices in the egg batter and cook on the griddle in a little melted butter until golden and cooked through.
Serve cheese toast with sausage patties alongside, drizzled with warm honey.