Red Velvet Roll with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling
- For the Cake:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- For the White Chocolate-Cream Cheese Filling:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
Adapted from browneyedbaker.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, grease the parchment, then flour the pan, tapping out excess flour.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In a measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, vanilla extract and vinegar; set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and beat to incorporate. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Add the red food coloring and mix until the color is evenly distributed throughout the batter, scraping the sides of the bowl and mixing as needed.
6. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread to the edges of the pan, smoothing the top. Bake until the cake is set and the top springs back when lightly touched with a finger, about 18 to 25 minutes. While the cake is in the oven, place a piece of parchment paper (or a clean kitchen towel that is not terry cloth) on the counter and sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar.
7. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake. Turn the cake out onto the prepared piece of parchment paper. Carefully peel off the parchment paper from the top of the cake and discard. Starting with a short end, carefully roll up the cake with the parchment paper. Place the rolled cake on a wire rack seam-side down and allow to cool to room temperature.
8. Make the White Chocolate-Cream Cheese Filling: Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the melted white chocolate and continue to beat until the chocolate is completely incorporated into the cream cheese mixture, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl at least once. Add the softened butter and beat until the butter is completely incorporated, about 2 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
9. Assemble the Cake: Carefully unroll the cake. Spread the filling evenly over the surface of the cake. Re-roll the cake, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, place the cake roll on a serving platter and dust with powdered sugar. Leftovers should be wrapped in plastic wrap or placed in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 4 days.