Banana Cream Pie
Cream pies are my mom’s specialty, and this dreamy dessert has a wonderful banana flavor. It looks so pretty topped with almonds…and it cuts easily, too. —Jodi Grable, Springfield, Missouri
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large firm bananas
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked (Feel free to use you favorite premade crust if you like: graham cracker, shortbread, even chocolate)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
* In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth.
* Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
* Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
* Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
* Slice 1/2 of the bananas into pastry shell; pour 1/2 custard over top.
* Top with remaining sliced bananas and custard.
* Spread with whipped cream; sprinkle with almonds.
* Chill for 6-8 hours or overnight.
* Refrigerate leftovers.
Yield: 6-8 servings