Italian Meat Loaf with Fresh Basil and Provolone
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed w/o oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 3/4 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded provolone cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground round
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Combine boiling water and tomoatoes in a bowl, let stand 30 minutes or unit soft. Drain and finely chop tomoatoes.
2. Preheat oven to 350.
Combined chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup ketchup and next 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Shape meat mixture into a 9 x 5 inch loaf. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup over meat loaf.
Bake at 250 for 1 hour until htermoment registers 160 degrees. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup or tomatoe sauce over top. Top with small amount of provolone shredded cheese. Bake until cheese melts. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.
Yield 6 servings (2 slices per serving)
Calories 294, Fat 8 grams, protein 24 grams