Chunky Apple-Cinnamon Cake
By Nicole S
- 2-3/4 pounds McIntosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced (11 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 t. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 T sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 T orange juice
- 2 t. vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 70mins
1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss apples with brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
3. Transfer half of the batter to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with apples. Spread remaining batter over apples. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake 10 minutes.
4. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.