Italian Onion Soup
4 servings (1 3/4 cups each)
1 Serving: Calories 350 (Calories from Fat 120); Total Fat 14g (Saturated Fat 5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 1330mg; Total Carbohydrate 44g (Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugars 14g); Protein 13g %
Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 30%; Iron 10%
Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 2 Vegetable, 1 Medium-Fat Meat, 2 Fat
Carbohydrate Choices: 3
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 1/4 teaspoon gray salt or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 cup Progresso® balsamic vinegar
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® beef broth
- 4 slices (3/4 inch thick) Italian country bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
1.In 12- to 14-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until garlic begins to brown. Stir in onions and salt. Cook about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Cook about 10 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown.
2.Stir in sage and vinegar. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid has evaporated. Stir in broth. Simmer over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.Meanwhile, set oven control to broil. Sprinkle bread with cheese; place on cookie sheet. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted (watch carefully). Place 1 slice of bread on each serving of soup.