Sylvia's Macaroni And Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni - (abt 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups milk divided
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese - (abt 2 cups) divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cook macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water until tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Drain well and pour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in butter, 1 1/4 cups milk, eggs, 1 3/4 cups grated cheese, salt, pepper, sugar and food coloring (if using). Mix well and transfer to a 1 1/2-quart oval baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/4 cup milk over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Bake until top crust is golden brown and casserole is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
This recipe yields 8 servings.