rhubarb white chocolate muffins
If you can resist eating them immediately, serve them when cooled - they're even better the next day. Return them to the cool oven to store them overnight, as their crust will go soft and soggy in an airtight container or fridge.
- 5.3-ounces caster sugar (called superfine sugar in the U.S.)
- 2.8 ounces) butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 8-ounces self-raising flour (or plain flour plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- .5-ounce buttermilk
- 14-ounces rhubarb
- 5.3-ounces white chocolate, roughly chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Pre-heat oven to 225°C (437°F).
Beat the butter and the sugar until creamy.
Add the eggs and beat to a homogenous mass. Add the flour, then the buttermilk.
Clean the rhubarb by generously cutting off the ends of the stalks, then peeling off the fibrous skin (don't worry about any thin parts remaining on the stalk, the tougher fibers will usually come off readily, what remains should soften while cooking)
Cut the rhubarb stalks into small bits (slices, halved if your stalks are very thick), then fold into the batter. Add the white chocolate and work into the dough gently and quickly.
Line a muffin tray with paper cups, fill with the cupcake mixture up to the edge (the rhubarb will take a lot of space initially, then shrink as it cooks, while the dough will rise a little - leaving the muffins level with the edge of the paper, or protruding only slightly from it)
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes - insert a metal skewer to test for doneness, although this is a bit tricky to tell, as the rhubarb is very moist... if you get lots of dough on your stick, continue to cook, if there's only a thin film, you can remove them.
You'll also love
- Cucumber Collins 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Smoked Beef Brisket Rub 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Macaroni and cheese with cream of... 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Never-Fail Divinity *(GOOD)* 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Garlic Herb Pepperoni Bread (bread... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Applebee's Bloomin' Onion and... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemon Almond Poppyseed Muffins 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Rhubarb Spice Cake 4/5 (2 Votes)