Cold Cantaloupe and Orange Flower Soup
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) curry powder
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 4 cups (1 L) boiling water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) orange flower water
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sweet potato, peeled and cut up
- Crushed chili peppers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) cantaloupe, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil, finely chopped
- Sliced almonds, grilled, for garnish
- Plain yogourt, for garnish
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add curry powder, red pepper and onion and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, until tender.
Add boiling water, orange flower water and sweet potato. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until sweet potato is tender.
Let cool slightly and purée until smooth in a blender. Season to taste with crushed chili peppers, salt and pepper. Add diced cantaloupe and purée again briefly for a smooth soup.
Refrigerate for 2 hours and serve cold, garnished with fresh herbs, grilled almonds and a dollop of yogourt, if desired.