Italian Braised Chicken with Fennel and Cannellini
- 2 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skin removed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bulb fennel, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1. Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Place chicken in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with cannellini beans, fennel, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and crushed red pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, white wine, tomato paste, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over mixture in cooker.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
3. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and parsley.