March 25, 2009
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pans OR one 10 to 12-cup bundt-style pan.
2) CAKE: Beat together butter, sugars, flavorings, and baking powder until fluffy.
3) Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl often.
4) Mix in flour and milk alternately, ensuring the batter is well-mixed after each addition.
5) Spoon batter into the prepared pan OR pans, and smooth with a spatula.
6) Bake cake in loaf pans for 45 to 50 minutes OR tube pan about 55 to 60 minutes, until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
7) Remove cake(s) from the oven, and let sit for 15 minutes before removing from pan and placing on rack to cool.
8) SYRUP: Mix sugar and water. Bring mixture to boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in vanilla.
9) Brush top and sides of cooling cake(s) with syrup. Cool for hour or so before glazing.
10) GLAZE: Stir glaze ingredients until smooth, adding a bit more cream, milk or sugar until the glaze is the consistency of molasses.
11) When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over top.