Thai-Flavored Vegan (or Pescatarian) Veggies with Green Curry
A combination of http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/thai-flavored-green-curry-with-sweet-potato-green-beans-and-chicken and http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicurrypasterecipes/r/greencurrypaste.htm with the meat removed.
- Green Curry Paste:
- 1 stalk lemongrass, minced OR 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass (available at Asian stores)
- 1-3 green chilies, sliced (Thai green chilies OR jalapeno)
- 1 shallot, sliced, OR 4 Tbsp. minced purple onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb-size piece of galangal OR ginger, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves & stems
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper (available in most supermarket spice aisles)
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegans: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste (available at Asian stores); Vegans: substitute 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered, thinly sliced
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed, quartered, cut into 1/2” chunks
- 3 cups trimmed green beans, cut in 2” pieces
- Kosher salt
- 20 basil leaves, preferably Thai (optional)
Adapted from bonappetit.com
1. Place all green curry paste ingredients in a food processor, chopper, or blender.
2. Process well to form a fragrant Thai green curry paste. Taste-test it for salt and spice. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Add more chili for more heat.
3. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Add curry paste; stir for 1 minute. Whisk in coconut milk and 1 cup water. Add sweet potato and cook, uncovered, until sauce thickens to a creamy consistency, about 10 minutes. Stir in green beans, cover, and cook for 2 minutes. Cook until sweet potato is tender, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Turn off heat and toss basil leaves, if using, into the curry.
4. Serve with bulghur, buckwheat, or quinoa.
You'll also love
- Sticky Thai Peanut Orange Chicken... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)