Sour Cherry Pie
- 10 1/3 cups pitted sour cherries
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon tapioca
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 homemade or store-bought rounds of pie dough
In a large bowl, mix together the cherries, sugar, tapioca, butter, lemon juice, almond extract and salt. Transfer 2 rounds of pie dough to 2 (9-inch) pie tins. Divide the cherry mixture between the crusts. Cover the pies with the remaining 2 rounds of dough (in a lattice pattern, if desired). Sprinkle the pie crusts with water, and then the sugar. Chill the pie in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking.
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
Place the pies on baking sheets and transfer to the oven. Bake about 5 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking until the filling bubbles and the crust is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Cool the pies on wire rack at least 2 hours before slicing. Store at room temperature up to 2 days.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.