Lentil Soup with Beef
Very nutrious and good for people folling low carb diet's. Easy to thow in crockpot and dinner will be ready when you get home.
- 1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained. I use French green, they hold their shape and very tender.
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red pepper, or any color
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup-1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper. go on the light side if you don't like hot.
- 1/3 cup snipped fresh parsley
Preparation time 20mins
Trim fat from steak. Cut into 3/4" pieces. For a richer soup, cook beeg in a nonstick skillet over med high heat until browned: otherwise just use uncooked meat. Place in a 3/1/2 qt- 4qt. slow cooker.
Stir in broth, lentils, 1 cup water, sweet pepper, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and spices.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hour's or low for 7-8 hours. Stir in parsley, Ladel1 1/4 cup soup per person into bowls.
Per serving: 265 calories, 7 grams of fat,2 gr. saturated,26 br. protein,24 carbs. 11 gr. fiber, 353 gr. sodium, 50 gr. cholestrol.
Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste or use a teaspoon of beef boullion, Stir well and taste again. Substract the 11 gr. fiber from carb's and you anly have 11 gr. of carb's. Add a fruit to be a balanced meal.