Roasted Acorn Squash Bowls with Barley Spinach Salad
- 1 acorn squash, halved and seeds scooped
- 1/2 tbs butter
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 uncooked cup pearl barley
- 8 oz baby spinach
- 1/2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°. With a sharp knife, score a crosshatch pattern into the flesh of squash. Rub each half with butter, season generously with salt and pepper. In each squash, place 3 cloves of garlic. Roast for 1 hour.
While squash is roasting, rinse barley until water runs clear. In a saucepan over high heat, bring barley and 1.5 cups of water to a boil, stir and reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 50 minutes. When finished, fluff with a fork and set aside.
When the squash is finished roasting, remove the garlic cloves and mash them into a paste with fork. In a skillet over medium heat, heat 1/2 tbs olive oil. Add spinach, cooked barley, and roasted garlic paste. Cook until spinach is wilted and ingredients are combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide between two halves of squash and top with toasted walnuts.
You'll also love
- Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash 4.6/5 (43 Votes)
- Apple Scrapple Recipe 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beer-Braised Rabbit (Or Chicken)... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato, Raisin & Walnut... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Olive Garden Copycat Mezzaluna... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Three Corn Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scalloped Corn in Microwave 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Craisin Spinach Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)