Swiss Potato Kugel
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 4 cups shredded or diced cooked peeled potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Tomato slices and fresh thyme optional
In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; add potatoes. Toss cheese with flour, salt and pepper; add to skillet and blend well. In a small bowl, combine the eggs and cream. Stir into the potato mixture. Spoon into a greased 9-inch square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes; cut into squares. Garnish with tomato and thyme if desired.
This recipe can be prepared the day before, covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 30-40 minutes.