Deep Fried Catfish and "Chips"
"Chips" are onion rings in this recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. melted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup beer
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 4 catfish fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced and separated injto rings
- Tartar Sauce (see recipe in "Miscellaneous" cookbook)
Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and the eggs. Gradually add the beer and stir until the batter is smooth. Let the batter stand in a warm place fo 1 hour, then fold in the beaten egg whites.
Fill a large, deep, heavy pot halfway with vegetable oil. Hea the oil to 350 degees. Dip the fish fillets in the beer batter and cook 2 at a time in the hot oil for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until fish is golden and flakes easily when tested with a fork. Drain on paper towels.
Dip the onion rings in the batter and fry them in batches until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.