ROCKY MT HIGH COCONUT CREAM PIE
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups light cream, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, at room temperature
- 4 extra large egg yolks lightly beaten, at room temp
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cops sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 fluffy baked 9 inch pie shell
Mix sugar and cornstarch in large bowl until it resembles powder.
Add the light cream slowly in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Beat well. Add milk in the same way. Beat in egg yolks.
Pour into heavy 2-quart saucepan, set over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
When the mixture reaches a hard boil (when bubbles continue thru stirring) reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
Pour the filling into medium size bowl. Beat in the butter one tbsp at a time, stirring each until melted.
Beat in the vanilla and coconut. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and let cool for 1/2 hour.
Spoon filling into the pie crust, chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Can decorate with whipped cream and browned coconut if desired.