Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe
Change up the flavor of risotto any time of year using in-season vegetables like butternut squash, spices and broths for a consistency that’s both creamy and comforting. —Katie Ferrier, Washington, Washington DC
- 8 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1 cup lager
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, combine the squash, 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
In a large saucepan, heat broth and water; keep warm. In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in remaining oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in lager. Cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
Add heated broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow the liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender. (Cooking time is about 20 minutes.) Add the butter, chili pepper, nutmeg and squash; cook and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1.333 cups equals 535 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 1,065 mg sodium, 84 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (398 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Pumpkin Roll Cake 4.5/5 (269 Votes)