Grilled Romaine with Marinated Cherry Tomatoes and Feta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup shaved red onion
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 hearts romaine, halved lengthwise, left attached at the stem end
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 15 mint leaves, sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for romaine
- 4 ounces feta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
In a nonreactive bowl, toss tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt; let sit 15 minutes. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and sugar; whisk in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add vinaigrette to tomatoes, stir in red onion and refrigerate.
Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high. Brush cut side of lettuce with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place lettuce on grill, cut side down, and allow to char lightly, 3 minutes per side. Remove lettuce to a platter.
Fold mint and feta into tomato mixture. Spoon tomato mixture over romaine and drizzle some of the marinade over the dish. Serve immediately.