Penne with Mushrooms
A flexible main dish. I vary quantities and make substituions depending on what's leftover in the fridge.
- 1 lb penne
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms quarted
- 1 cubanelle pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ground pepper
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 c. grated parmigiano plus more for the table
- 1/2 c. basil leaves shredded
Cook the pasta when the sauce is almost ready.
In a large skillet heat the oil and add the celery and onion. Cook until softened. Add the mushrooms, peppers, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and S&P to taste. Cook until tender. Stir in the wine and boil for 3 min. Stir in tomatoes and chicken broth. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
When pasta has been cooked al dente, strained and returned to pot, stir in the 1 c. of cheese and half of the sauce. Mix well and serve in shallow bowls topped with additional sauce and cheese.