Sour Cream Pancakes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) nonfat milk
- 4 ounces (125 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pastry flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh berries, for garnish (optional)
- Warmed maple syrup or fruit syrup, for serving
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sour cream, milk, and melted butter.
2. In a larger mixing bowl, sift together the pastry and all-purpose flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Make a well in the center, pour in the egg-yolk mixture, and whisk just enough to blend the wet and dry ingredients.
4. In a clean bowl with the clean beaters of a hand-held electric mixer at medium speed, beat the egg whites until they’re shiny and firm but not dry.
5. Stir a dollop into the batter; then, with a rubber spatula, fold in the remaining whites until just a few streaks of white show.
6. Preheat the oven to its lowest setting while you leave the batter to rest for about 15 minutes.
7. Heat a nonstick griddle or a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Brush the surface lightly with butter.
8. Using a 1/4-cup (60 ml) measure, pour the batter onto the griddle. When each pancake is golden brown on one side and its surface is covered with small bubbles, after 1 to 2 minutes, use a wide spatula to turn it over; cook the other side until golden brown.
9. As the pancakes are done, transfer them to a tray lined with a clean kitchen towel and keep them warm in the oven.
10. To serve, arrange the pancakes stacked or overlapping on individual warmed serving plates. Garnish with fresh berries if you like. Serve with your choice of warmed maple syrup or fruit syrup.