Pumpkin-Spice Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
"Even grown-ups like cupcakes - sometimes it's nice not to have to share," says Garten. You can make these and the frosting the night before, but don't ice them until the big day. [Thanksgiving]
- 1/2 c vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground ginger
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 2 extra large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 c canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c light brown sugar, lightly packed
- Maple Frosting (see below)
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped Heath bars for serving (two 1.4oz bars)
- Maple Frosting Ingredients
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2 T pure maple syrup
- 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
- 2 c sifted confectioners' sugar
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from instyle.com
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Brush the top of a muffin pan w/vegetable oil & line it w/10 paper liners.
3. Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs, pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and then 1/2c vegetable oil.
4. Add flour mixture & stir to combine.
5. Scoop batter into the prepared tins (Garten uses a 2-1/4" ice cream scoop) and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool completely, spread the cupcakes with maple frosting, and sprinkle with chopped Heath bars.
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese, butter, maple syrup & vanilla on medium-low until very smooth.
2. With the mixer on low, slowly add sugar and mix until smooth.