Cajun Chicken and Rice
Heat up your workweek dinner with this healthy, lower calorie Cajun inspired recipe. Smoked paprika adds an subtle earthiness to the seasoning.
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 3 slice(s) bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk(s) (large) celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 4 cup(s) lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cup(s) long-grain white rice
- 1 cup(s) frozen peas
- Parsley, for garnish
Adapted from delish.com
1.In bowl, combine paprika, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Toss chicken with half of spice mixture.
2.In 6-quart Dutch oven, cook bacon on medium-high 5 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer to paper towel.
3.To same pot, add oil, then chicken. Cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, transfer to bowl.
4.Add onion, red pepper, celery, and remaining spices to pot. Cook 5 minutes, stirring. Add tomato paste. Cook 30 seconds, stirring. Stir in broth, rice, peas, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to maintain simmer. Stir in chicken and any juices. Cover; simmer 27 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked (165 degrees F). Top with parsley and bacon.