Braised Red Cabbage
- 1/2 package (about 7 ounces) thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 1 1/2 large white onions, thinly sliced (save the other half for the sauce, below)
- 2 1/2 pounds (about 1 small head) red cabbage, quartered, cored and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 juniper berries
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Parchment paper
Adapted from tastingtable.com
1. Prepare the cabbage: Warm the bacon and onions in a pot over medium-low heat. Then dump the remaining cabbage ingredients in the pot and season generously with salt.
2. Cut out a circle of parchment paper that will fit flush with the inner sides of the pan. Cut a small circle in the center of it and place it flat over the cabbage. Cook over low heat, stirring every 30 minutes, until the cabbage has no resistance on your teeth and turns deep purple, about 2 to 3 hours. Season with salt and pepper to taste.