Homemade Tomato Soup- Vegetarian Times January 2014
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube, optional
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Cooking time 30mins
1. Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, sugar, and cook 1 minute, or until tomato paste darkens. Stir in diced tomatoes, bouillon cube(if using), balsamic vinegar, thyme, and 4 cups water. Cover pan, bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, and blend soup with immersion blender or in blender or food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper if desired.