Cuban Black Beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups red onion, chopped
- 1 medium cubanelle pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 tlbs minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 cans black beans, 15.5 oz cans, undrained
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tlbs red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cups cilantro, chopped
- 1 medium lime, cut into 6 wedges (optional)
In a food processor, puree 1 1/2 cups of the onions and all of the peppers
Heat oil in a sauce pan and cook peppers and onion mixture for 7 minutes.
Add garlic, cumin and oregano and cook for 30 seconds
ADD beans and water to pan with salt. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vinegar and 1/3 cup of cilantro
To serve: Pour beans over rice and sprinkle with onions and cilantro.
Squeeze fresh lime juice over beans if desired