grilled tuna and cucumber salad
- For the tuna:
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 Thai bird chile, stemmed and minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 English cucumber (about 8 ounces), sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 4 (1-inch-thick) sushi-grade tuna steaks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Vegetable oil, for oiling the tuna and the grill
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To serve:
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped roasted, salted peanuts
For the salad:
Place the fish sauce, ginger, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and chile in a medium, nonreactive bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Add the oil, whisking in a slow, steady stream until combined. Add the carrot and cucumber and stir until evenly coated; set aside.
For the tuna:
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high (about 450°F to 550°F).
Meanwhile, pat the tuna dry with paper towels. Rub the fish on both sides with a thin layer of vegetable oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
When the grill is ready, rub the grates with a towel dipped in vegetable oil. Place the tuna on the grill and cook undisturbed until dark grill marks appear, about 2 minutes. Using a flat spatula, flip and cook until grill marks appear on the second side but the middle is still rare, about 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board.
Add the cilantro to the salad, stir to combine, and divide evenly among 4 plates. Slice the tuna against the grain into 1/4-inch-thick pieces and place over the salad. Sprinkle with the peanuts and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Chicken, Mushroom and Wild Rice... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- zucchini pancakes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Sun Dried Tomatoe... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lime cilantro shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Salmon with Vegetables 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Barbecue roasted Salmon 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Puff Pastry Tuna Melt (goes w/... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Stir fried cucumber and pork 0/5 (0 Votes)