Eye of Round with Roasted Tomato Barbecue Sauce
With no waste from fat or bones, eye of round is more economical than the price tag may indicate. Slice thinly and serve on toasted kaiser rolls with some of the divine sauce.
- Roasted Tomato Barbecue Sauce:
- 1 1beef eye of round oven roastbeef eye of round oven roasts, 4 lb (2 kg)
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper 1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) pepper
- 9 plum tomatoes , about 2 lb9 9plum tomatoplum tomatoes, about 2 lb
- 4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil 4 4tsp tsp(18 mL) (18 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt 3/4 3/4tsp tsp(4 mL) (4 mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper 3/4 3/4tsp tsp(4 mL) (4 mL) pepper
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) ancho chili powder or chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin 1 1tsp tsp(5 mL) (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/4 1/4tsp tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger 1/4 1/4tsp tsp(1 mL) (1 mL) ground ginger
- 1 onion , finely chopped1 1oniononions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced2 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sodium-reduced beef stock 1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef stock
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses 1/4 1/4cup cup(50 mL) (50 mL) fancy molasses
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar 3 3tbsp tbsp(45 mL) (45 mL) cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard 2 2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato paste 2 2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce 1 1tbsp tbsp(15 mL) (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
Roasted Tomato Barbecue Sauce: Core tomatoes; cut in half. Place on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Brush with half of the oil; sprinkle with half each of the salt and pepper. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven until very soft and just starting to darken, 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool; coarsely chop.
In large saucepan, toast chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and ginger over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining oil; fry onion, garlic and remaining salt and pepper until softened, about 3 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes, beef stock, molasses, vinegar, mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 cup (125 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, until reduced to 3 cups (750 mL), about 20 minutes. In blender or food processor, pur?sauce until smooth. (Make-ahead: Let cool; refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)
Brush roast with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set foil drip pan over 1 burner of 2-burner barbecue or over centre burner of 3-burner barbecue. Pour water into pan to depth of 1 inch (2.5 cm). Heat remaining burners to medium.
Place roast on greased grill over unlit burner; close lid and grill, adjusting heat if necessary to maintain temperature, until meat thermometer inserted in centre registers 140°F (60°C) for medium-rare, about 1-1/2 hours, brushing with 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the sauce in the last 15 minutes.
Transfer to cutting board and tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Reheat remaining sauce to serve.