Old Fashioned Gluten Free Cornbread on a Shoestring
- 2 cups (yellow) cornmeal (DRY)
- 1 tsp. salt (DRY)
- 1 tsp. baking soda (DRY)
- 2 tsp. baking powder (DRY)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or plain yogurt or sour cream)
- 4 tBsp. unsalted butter (or shortening or vegetable oil), room temperature
- 4 tBsp. honey (or granulated sugar – or half sugar/half honey)
- 1 large egg
Combine all DRY ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside.
In separate bowl, mix honey, egg & butter until well incorporated. Add buttermilk & mix to combine thoroughly.
Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. It will be soupy & you won’t believe that it will amount to anything when it grows up. You’ll beat yourself up, thinking, “I should have done more. I should have added more dry ingredients. I should have saved it.” But trust me. Just pour the mixture into an 8″x8″ (or 9″x9″) square baking dish, and place it in a 400 degree oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Just do it! Have I ever led you astray? Now behave yourself & I’ll consider posting my cornbread apple stuffing recipe another day.