Hot Crab Fondue Outre
- For dipping:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots or white parts of scallions
- 3 tablespoons dry vermouth or white wine
- 1 cup half and half or light cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes at room temp.
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cups)
- 1/2 lb crab meat, flaked and picked over for cartilage
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon old bay seasoning
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- chopped fresh parsley or chives
- french bread, cut into rounds and toasted
- cooked, peeled shrimp
- broccoli florets
in medium saucepan, melt butter over med. heat. add shallots and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 min. add vermouth and bring to a boil. add half and half and bring to a Simmer.
gradually whisk in cream cheese, whisking until first addition is smooth and melted before adding another. stir in Cheddar cheese until melted. Stir in crab, lemon juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and old bay seasoning. season with hot sauce.
transfer to fondue pot and keep warm over a fondue burner. garnish with parsley. serve immediately, with dipping ingredients of your choice.