Clams casino a la Skip
Best and easiest recipe for casino
- 18 to24 small little neck clams (no more than 2" across shell
- 2 or 3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese and 2 to 3 tablespoons for dusting
- 1/3 cup finely diced shallots or scallions
- 1 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 or 3 large Gallic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or cooking sherry
- 3 Oz pancetta diced
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon old bay seasoning (optional)
1.) Clean outside of clams and refrigerate to make opening easier
2.) Place olive oil in a skillet and place on medium heat
3.) Add pancetta and cook until crispy, but not burnt, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4.) Using a slotted spoon, remove pancetta and set aside.
5.) Add shallots or scallions, garlic and peppers and sauté for about 5 minutes.
6.) Add wine, oregano, (and old bay is chosen), stir and simmer until the wine is almost evaporated.
7.) Set aside and let mixture completely cool at room temperature.
8.) Open clams making sure they are totally disconnected from shell, placing clam on one of the two shells,(make sure shell the clam sits on has the muscles scrapped from shell; muscles can be added to clam matter).
9.) Place clams on foil-lines baking sheet.
10.) Add pancetta and 4 Tablespoons of cheese and mix thoroughly .
11.) Spoon vegetable mixture, mounding it over clams and sprinkle with remaining cheese; slightly drizzle more olive oil on top to help brown when cooked.
12.) Preheat oven to 500 degrees and bake for about 8 to10 minutes.
13.) Transfer to platter garnished with lemon wedges and suck them down!