Mini Key Lime Cupcakes
Make mini cakes for maximum satisfaction. Cake mix and ready-to-spread frosting make prep super easy.
- 1 box (4-serving size) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup Key lime or regular lime juice
- 4 drops green food color
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 48 regular-size paper baking cups
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 container Betty Crocker® Whipped fluffy white frosting
- 1 tablespoon Key lime or regular lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated Key lime or regular lime peel
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In large bowl, beat pudding mix and whipping cream with wire whisk 2 minutes. Let stand 3 minutes. Beat in 1/4 cup Key lime juice and the food color; stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
Heat oven to 375°F (350°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups. Make cake batter as directed on box. Spoon about 1 rounded tablespoonful batter into each muffin cup, using about half of the batter. (Muffin cups will be about 1/3 full.) Refrigerate remaining batter. Bake 12 to 16 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan to cooling rack. Repeat with remaining baking cups and batter. Cool cupcakes completely, about 15 minutes.
Remove paper baking cups from cupcakes. Swirl about 2 teaspoons topping on top of each cupcake.
Stir frosting in container 20 times. Gently stir in 1 tablespoon Key lime juice and the lime peel. Spoon frosting into 1-quart resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut 1/2-inch opening from bottom corner of bag. Squeeze 1 rounded teaspoonful frosting from bag onto topping. Garnish with fresh lime wedge, if desired. Store in refrigerator.