- 1 cup hard winter wheatberries
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 6 TBSP olive oil, divided
- 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
Place the wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for about 45 minutes, or til they are soft. Drain.
Saute the red onion in 2 TBSP oil over medium-low heat til translucent, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 TBSP (1/4 cup) olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
In a large bowl, Combine the wheatberries, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot and 1/2 tsp salt and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce. Season to taste and serve at room temp.