Asparagus and soft eggs on toast
- 4 slices rustic country bread
- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 8 large eggs*
- 1/4 cup Parmesan (1 ounce)
. Heat broiler. Place the bread and asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Broil until the bread is toasted, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer the bread to plates. Continue broiling the asparagus, tossing once, until tender, 4 to 8 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Carefully lower the eggs into the water. Reduce heat and gently simmer for 6 minutes. Cool under running water and peel.
4. Divide the asparagus among the toast, sprinkle on the Parmesan, and top with the eggs.
While some swear by thin asparagus, the thicker variety is actually just as tender, as long as you peel the lower third of the spears before cooking.
Calories 348; Calories From Fat 51%; Protein 20g; Carbohydrate 22g; Sugar 3g; Fiber 2g; Fat 20g; Sat Fat 5mg; Calcium 188mg; Iron 4mg; Sodium 626mg; Cholesterol 428mg