Lemon Meringue Pie
- For the Pastry...
- 150 g Plain Flour
- 85 g Butter, cut into small pieces
- 35 g Icing Sugar (sifted)
- Finely grated rind of half a lemon
- Half an egg yolk (beaten)
- For the Filling and Meringue:
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 300 ml water
- Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 2 eggs (seperated)
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
To make the pastry,
Sift the flour into a large bowl
Rub in the butter, with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs,
Mix in the remaining ingredients,
Knead briefly on a floured surface (dont over knead!)
Wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 mins or so....
Preheat the oven to 180/gas mark 4,
grease a tart tin (i didnt have a tart tin so i just used a glass dish)
roll out the pastry and line the tin or dish (on the bottom and up the sides)
make little pricks all over with a fork,
line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans (i also didnt have baking beans so i used un-cooked rice.
Bake in the oven for 15 mins
For the filling:
Mix the cornflour with a little water to form a paste,
put the remaining water in a saucepan,
Stir in the lemon juice, rind and cornflour paste,
Bring to the boil (stiring constantly!)
Cook for 2 mins, cool a little,
stir in 5 tablespoons of caster sugar and the egg yolks,
Pour into the pastry case.
For the Meringue:
Now if i had my dream Kitchenaid Artisan this would have been easy as pie! but alas all i had was a whisk and a bowl!
it took about 25 mins to whisk the egg whites till they were stiff.
then i folded in the rest of the caster sugar.
Then i spooned the meringue over the pie, and baked it for 40 mins.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (738 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (489 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken 4.5/5 (230 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (164 Votes)