Zesty Bean Posole
- 1 lb turkey breast, ground
- 2 15-16 oz. can golden hominy, rinsed and drained
- 2 15-16 oz. can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16 oz. jar thick and chunky medium salsa (1 2/3 cup)
- 2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or half-and-half
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- slivered green onions
- shredded cheese (optional)
- cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream, and tortilla strips
In a 4 quart slow cooker, combine hominy, beans, broth, salsa,oregano, and turkey. Cook on low-heat setting 7 to 8 hours or high-setting 3 1/2 to 4 hours
With 30 minutes of cook time remaining, increase to high-heat setting, if necessary. In a small bowl stir together cream and flour until smooth; stir into mixture in cooker. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more or until mixture is slightly thickened.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with green onions and garnish.