Budget-Friendly Healthy Veggie Stew
This idea for this frugal stew came straight from the the bargain veggie bin at the grocery. They had all these veggies in a bag for 99 cents! The veggie bargain bin is the best place to start your New Year's food budget out right!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 cups vegan chicken-style broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, optional
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and chopped small
- 1 small zucchini, chopped small
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5) oz can chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once hot add onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and green pepper and saute 2 more minutes.
Add in all the other ingredients with the exception of the salt and pepper. Cover and simmer until the turnips are tender, about 20 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Why the pumpkin puree? It was in the fridge and needed to be used up. Also it adds more flavor to th broth!