Gardner's Pie (From cooking light Magazine)
(MORE THAN JUST A SHEPARDS PIE, EAT MORE VEGGIES)
Per serving (serving size about 1 cup):Calories: 389
Fat: 12.3g ; Saturated fat: 5g ; Monounsaturated fat: 5.4g ; Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g ; Protein: 17.1g ; Carbohydrate: 55.9g
Fiber: 9.1g ; Cholesterol: 24mg ; Iron: 5.3mg; Sodium: 391mg; Calcium: 330mg
- 8 ounces dried black-eyed peas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled celery root
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped peeled turnip
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound turnip greens, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Cooking time 600mins
Adapted from cookinglight.com
1. Sort and wash peas; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above peas; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain peas.
2. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil; swirl. Add onion, celery root, and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Add peas, 3 cups water, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes or until peas are tender. Discard bay leaf.
3. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Add turnip; sauté 3 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in greens and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; sauté 1 minute. Add stock; stir until greens wilt. Cook 15 minutes or until greens are very tender. Remove from heat; stir in sugar and vinegar.
4. Preheat oven to 350°.
5. Lightly coat 6 (8-ounce) ramekins with cooking spray. Using a slotted spoon, spoon peas into prepared dish. Top evenly with greens mixture. Layer potatoes evenly over greens; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cheese. Drizzle with cream. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and cheese is golden.