Sweet Smoked Pork Ribs
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 Tbs packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs ground white pepper
- 2 Tbs onion powder
- 1 Tbs garlic powder
- 1 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs paprika
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 10 lbs baby back pork ribs
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce
1. Stir together the salt, white sugar, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, black
pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika,
and cumin in a small bowl to make the dry rub. Rub the spice mixture into
the baby back ribs on all sides. Wrap the ribs well with plastic wrap, and
refrigerate at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
2. Place the baby back ribs onto the wire racks of the smoker. It is ok if
the meat is touching, but to not stack.
3. Place the racks into a smoker, fill the smoker pan with apple, grape,
pear, or cherry chips, and bring the smoker to 270 degrees F (130 degrees
C). Smoke for 1 hour.
4. Stir together the apple juice, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and the barbeque
sauce. Brush the ribs with the sauce every 30 to 45 minutes after the first
hour. Cook the ribs in the smoker until the meat is no longer pink and
begins to "shrink" back from the bones, 3 to 4 hours. Brush the sauce onto
the ribs one last time 30 minutes before the ribs are ready to be taken out
of the smoker.
5. Once the ribs are done, wrap them tightly with aluminum foil, and allow
to rest 10 to 15 minutes. This will allow the juices to reabsorb into the
meat and make the ribs moist.
Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
Calories From Fat: 47
Total Fat: 5.5g
Comments: Original recipe makes 10 pounds