Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad with Feta Vinaigrette
When the summer harvest is at its peak, shop your local farmers? market for heirloom tomatoes. Thin slices of red and green bell peppers are a nice addition to this plate.
- 4 beefsteak or assorted heirloom tomatoes,
- thinly sliced
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded
- and thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced paper-thin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- For the feta vinaigrette:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbs. dried oregano
- 1 Tbs. finely minced garlic
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, or as needed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Arrange the tomato, cucumber and onion slices on a platter. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
To make the vinaigrette, in a blender or food processor, combine the olive oil, oregano, garlic, feta cheese, vinegar and pepper. Pulse briefly to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding a bit more vinegar if you like. Spoon over the tomato, cucumber and onion slices and serve.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Lifestyles Series, Soup for Supper, by Joyce Goldstein (Time-Life Books, 1998).